I’m a big fan of journaling. During middle and high school I obsessively kept a journal. I’d write down every important word my crush uttered to me and print out what I thought were very important AIM chats.
In more recent years I’ve used journals not to chronicle my life but instead to gain clarity on my career aspirations and ultimate goals. It’s become an important tool for me to reflect when I’m feeling lost about where I’m going.
When Argentine Yerba Mate and I started discussing content for the New Year and goal setting, I knew I wanted to talk about journaling. For starters, 99% of the time I’m no joke drinking tea while I journal. I prefer to do my journaling in the morning — typically after I teach an AM class or do my own workout. It’s when I feel the most focused, and it’s also the time I’m sipping my first caffeinated beverage of the day.
I like to think of Argentine Yerba Mate as tea for New Yorkers. There’s the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee but minus the jitters. Yerba Mate also contains Vitamin B, Vitamin C, zinc, potassium and manganese. It is also believed to aid in digestion.
My biggest piece of advice for you about journaling is to be really real. Don’t censor yourself. Don’t write thinking about what other people would think about what you’re saying. Just write from the heart and be shameless about it. I know for me once I was [finally] able to peel away those layers of judgement, writing helped me figure out that what made me happiest was teaching yoga and writing. Even if that’s not the career path I’m “supposed” to be following post-business school.
SO, grab a cup of tea, curl up with your favorite notebook and lets get deeeeep about what you want to manifest in 2019. Ya ready?
Intention Setting Journal Prompts
1. What was your proudest moment of 2018?
2. What was your happiest moment of 2018?
3. What three words sum up your 2018, and why?
4. If 2018 was a novel, what would your one paragraph synopsis of the year be?
5. How are you the most different now than you were at the beginning of the year?
6. What went well in 2018?
7. What would you like to improve upon in 2018?
8. What parts or aspects of your career filled you with the most joy this year?
9. What parts or aspects of your job/career do you not love?
10. How can you do more of the things that you love about your job?
11. What passions or topics excited you in 2018 that you want to further explore in 2019?
12. What is one thing you can do in 2019 to better yourself or enhance your career?
13. In one word, how do you want to feel at the end of 2019?
14. What is one big goal you want to accomplish before the end of the year?
15. If money didn’t matter and the sky was the limit, what would your dream job be?
16. What does it mean to you to be successful in 2019?
Thank you Argentine Yerba Mate for sponsoring this post and for supporting Kayla in the City. As always, all opinions and sarcastic comments are my own. Thank you for helping to power this blog.